Magento 2.1.6 was released on April 9. It’s an important update with many performance improvements and without any security related fixes.
The main performance enhancements are:
- Improved performance of the Category page
- Optimized image resizing and the caching of image metadata is also up to 50% faster
- Improved performance of layered navigation
- Minimized indexing operations after product import
- The check that Magento runs to confirm a configurable product’s readiness for sale is now faster
- Magento now caches attribute options for the layered navigation feature. This reduces the number of queries to the database, and consequently improves performance
- Magento no longer performs unnecessary file check operations (for example,
is_file), which improves the performance of the category and product pages
- Magento now caches image metadata, which avoids the time-consuming need to read images for metadata loading
It contains also following fixes:
- Magento no longer locks the
category_product_entitytable. Unlocking this table reduces the potential of lock-related timeouts that can occur when indexing and checkout operations run in parallel
- The storefront now displays images that Magento resizes during product save operations, rather than resizing the product on the storefront
- Magento no longer calculates configurable product special prices on the category page
- Magento now runs a selective partial re-indexing operation after import if you enabled “Update on Schedule”
- Magento now displays imported product images in this order: first, the base image, then the additional images in the order in which they were listed in the CSV file
- Magento no longer creates redundant objects when initializing a configurable product on the Category page
- The logic that Magento uses to validate swatch attributes has been optimized
- Magento now caches swatch data in the block cache, which improves the responsiveness of the configurable product pages
A more detailed list can be found at devdocs.magento.com.
And don’t forget to backup before updating.